Under 5 year olds
Ducklings (3 years - 5 years)
The Ducklings Awards are designed to help children to explore and enjoy the fun of learning to swim. With the help of their parents/carers, your child will develop confidence both in and out of the water, whilst working towards the ASA Duckling Awards.
There are 5 grades that swimmers would need to complete in order to gain the Kellogg's ASA Duckling Awards.
Duckling Grade 1
In order to complete Grade 1 the swimmers would need to meet the following criteria:
- make a supervised safe entry with adult support
- kick 2 metres on the back with adult support
- float on the back with adult support behind the head
- blow bubbles at the water surface
- wet the head without submersion
- travel without assistance 2 metres to a floating object.
Duckling Grade 2
In order to complete Grade 2 the swimmers would need to meet the following criteria:
- make a sitting entry with adult support
- blow an object for a distance of 2 metres
- using a baby seat or other buoyancy aid, rotate through 180degrees without assistance
- move 5 metres along the rail or wall without assistance
- travel 3 metres using arms and/or legs without assistance
- submerge the face with confidence.
Duckling Grade 3
In order to complete Grade 3 the swimmers would need to meet the following criteria:
- make a supervised jump to an adult with or without support
- kick 5 metres on the front holding a float (the adult may hold the other end of the float)
- blow bubbles with the mouth underwater
- float on front OR back without adult support
- travel 5 metres on the front to the side of the pool
- show a torpedo shape on front or back when pushed to a partner.
Duckling Grade 4
In order to complete Grade 4 the swimmers would need to meet the following criteria:
- jump unaided, but supervised, into the water
- submerge completely
- rotate through 360° either horizontally or vertically
- show a mushroom OR a star float
- travel without assistance 10 metres on the front OR back
- climb out of the water with assistance if required.
Duckling Grade 5
In order to complete Grade 5 the swimmers would need to meet the following criteria:
- show the sequence - to jump in the water, turn around, swim back to the point of entry and hold the rail or side
- submerge completely and blow bubbles under the water
- push and glide achieving a distance of 2 metres on the front or back
- float on the front or back and regain standing/vertical position
- swim 5 metres on the front or back using an over water arm recovery
- exit safely showing correct use of the ladder.
Learn to Swim enquiry form
Interested in one of our programmes? Just fill in this form and we'll be back in touch with you as soon as possible.
Track your childs progress
Our Home Portal is a FREE online service open to everyone who has purchased swimming lessons. From home or on your mobile you can easily view the swim assessment information held for your child. As lessons are taught teachers continually assess the children, and update their progress within 48 hours. You can then log in and see what your child has achieved, and what swim skills they are working towards.
If your child is enrolled on one of our Learn to Swim programmes, you can log in here to track their progress.