Visit Warm Spaces this winter
Mon 6 Mar 2023
Update - the Derby Libraries Warm Spaces have been extended and will be running until 30 Mar 2023.
Wed 30 Nov 2022
Derby City Council will be launching a range of warm spaces throughout the city to help its residents beat the chill this winter.
With the cost of living rising, many people may not be able to afford to heat their homes easily this winter. A number of warm spaces will run every week from 30 Nov until the end of Feb 2023, for residents to access warmth, social interaction and a hot drink (times subject to change):
- Rosehill Children’s Centre - Wed 1pm – 3pm
- Derwent Children’s Centre - Wed 1pm – 3pm
- Sinfin Children’s Centre - Tue 1pm – 3pm
- Alvaston Library - Mon 1pm-5pm, Tues 9:30 – 5pm, Thu 9:30am – 7pm, Fri 9:30am – 5pm and Sat 9:30am – 1pm
- Mickleover Library - Mon 1pm – 5pm, Tues 10am – 5pm, Thu 10am– 7pm, Fri 10am– 5pm and Sat 10am – 1pm
- Normanton Library - Mon 9.30am – 5pm. Wed 9:30am – 7pm. Thu 1pm - 5pm, Fri 9:30am – 5pm and Sat 9:30am – 1pm
- Riverside Library, - Thu during their regular weekly coffee mornings, between 10:30am and 12 noon. Mon – Fri 9am – 5pm and Sat 9am – 1pm
People attending the library warm spaces are encouraged to bring their own mug, and everyone is welcome to unlimited refills of tea and coffee. All libraries mentioned will be offering hot drinks until 2:30pm.
Councillor Evonne Williams, Cabinet Member for Children, Young People and Skills, said:
We are strongly encouraging those who are struggling to heat their homes to come to our winter warmer events. These events present an opportunity not only to sit in a warm space, but also to chat with others over a hot drink and learn about the support and schemes available that can help assist you through the cost-of-living crisis, no matter what problems you may be facing.”
Families in need of children’s winter coats can book a winter coat collection with the Children’s Centre team. The donation deadline for the warm coat appeal has also been extended through December, so families with unwanted used children’s coats, in good condition, are encouraged to donate them. You can read more about the Warm Coat appeal in the Derby City Council article.
As well as the winter warmer events, Derby City Council have also created a new cost-of-living webpage in partnership with Community Action Derby and Derby Homes, which features a wealth of information and advice on various cost-of-living issues.