How to host the perfect street party for the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee

Union Jack flag bunting.

Thu 7 Apr 2022

Across the nation, communities are gearing up to celebrate the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee in June and Derby is no exception. But, if you want to close your street, or host a party in a park, there are a few things you’ll need to do to ensure your event goes without a hitch.

Street Parties

Before you get started with your street party planning, make sure you’ve read this guidance from the Government. It busts some common myths about what’s needed. There’s even more information and advice on the Street Party website.

One of the key things you’ll need to do is apply to Derby City Council for a road closure if you want to host a street party and your road isn’t already normally closed to traffic. If your street party is just for you and your neighbours with some food, there’s no fee. If you’re going all out and hiring inflatables or having live amplified music, you’ll need to pay a small fee.

The deadline to apply for a road closure from Derby City Council is the end of April. Contact for a road closure application form.

Street meets

If you don’t want to complete forms and would like to host a smaller-scale event, then why not host a Street Meet? These are held on private land such as your front garden or driveway. Head over to the Street Party website for some great advice and ideas.

Party in a park or open space

With over 300 parks and open spaces in the city, you might want to have your jubilee celebration in the great outdoors surrounded by nature. To do this, you’ll need to contact and complete some application forms along with a site plan, by the end of April. Standard fees apply.

Further information and advice:

The Royal Family website
The Platinum Jubilee website
The Street Party website
Guide to organising a street party
The Big Jubilee Lunch