Welcome back to Derby Libraries
The final preparations are being made to welcome members back to Derby Libraries. A phased re-opening of our sites will take place over the next month, allowing as much use of library facilities as is safe and practical at this time.
While we are very much looking forward to seeing our members again, inevitably there will be changes to the services available, and opening hours. The safety of our customers and staff is our priority.
Riverside Library will reopen from 10 August, and Mickleover Library from 11 August, for customers to browse and borrow books and use PC’s.
From 24 August, Alvaston Library and Normanton Library will operate a Click and Collect service, where customers can return books and collect reserved items.
We continue to urge library members to make use of our electronic services while they are unable to visit us in person. More information about the services and how to get started can be found on our eLibrary pages.
All items are being issued with a return date extended to September. Items already out on loan have already had their return date extended, although customers may not be aware of this. Members can continue to renew their loans online.
We wish all our members well and look forward to welcoming them back as soon as we can.
Mon 21 Sep 2020
You can once again place holds on the Derby Libraries catalogue. Placing holds can greatly expand the range of book titles available to you, whichever library you use.
Alvaston Library open for Click and Collect only from Monday 24 August
How to click and collect:
- To find a library item online, browse or search the catalogue and place a hold on the books you would like to borrow. Alternatively, browse the catalogue and call the library on 01332 718140 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with your library card number, and the title and author of each book you wish to borrow.
- If we have your email address, we will email you to let you know when they are available to collect.
- If we don’t have your email address, wait one working day and then phone the library on 01332 718140 to find out when you can collect them.
- When you arrive, call the library and staff will bring the books to you and place them on a table or the floor for you to pick up.
- When you return items, call the library and a staff member will come to collect them.
Monday 1pm – 4pm
Tuesday 12:30pm – 4pm
Thursday 12:30pm – 5pm
Friday 1pm – 4:30pm
What to do
The library has these accessibility aids:
- Level access
- Automatic doors
- Accessible counters
- Large print books and audio books
- Induction loop
- Computers with Zoomtext and high visibility keyboards.
Library app for iPhone users
Go to the App Store and search for Derby City Libraries. Download the app called DerbyLibraries to:
- Search by barcode: Use your device’s camera to scan the barcode on a book or other item and search for available copies at Derby City Libraries.
- Search the Derby City Libraries catalogue for items by title, author, subject, or general keyword and place holds on interesting items.
- Manage your account
- Find suggested reading - see what your friends have read and recommend with reading recommendations from Goodreads or check out the latest best-selling and award-winning titles.
Images from Flickr
Why not volunteer at your local library? We have a range of opportunities available, find out more on our Volunteering page.