Derby Local Studies and Family History Library
For up to date information on current services, please visit our COVID-19 Libraries news story.
Now open for online and telephone enquiries
Customers are not currently able to visit the library in Riverside Chambers, Full Street, but you can email, telephone or text the team, and they will search the library collection on your behalf to answer your local history and family history enquiries. Copies of original documents can be provided for a small charge. You can also browse Derby's History, our curated digital archive and download full-text PDFs of the library's most fascinating and informative items.
Tel: 01332 642240
Text: 07584 268351
The enquiry service will operate on the following days:
Monday 10am – 2.30pm
Tuesday 10am – 12.30pm
Wednesday 10am – 12.30pm
Thursday 10am – 5pm
The Local Studies library is your place to research local and family history.
We offer free access to Family History and Local Studies websites and email facilities.
It is easy to join the library. You just need to bring one piece of identification with you which includes your name and address.
What to do
The Library has these accessibility aids:
- Level access to the building
- Customer lift
- Accessible counters
- Induction loop
- Computers with Zoomtext and high visibility keyboards.
Library app for iPhone users
Go to the App Store and search for Derby City Libraries. Download the app called DerbyLibraries to:
- Search by barcode: Use your device’s camera to scan the barcode on a book or other item and search for available copies at Derby City Libraries.
- Search the Derby City Libraries catalogue for items by title, author, subject, or general keyword and place holds on interesting items.
- Manage your account
- Find suggested reading - see what your friends have read and recommend with reading recommendations from Goodreads or check out the latest best-selling and award-winning titles.
Images from Flickr
Why not volunteer at your local library? We have a range of opportunities available, find out more on our Volunteering page.