Derby Local Studies and Family History Library
COVID-19 libraries update - Apr 2022
For the safety of yourself and others, we encourage all customers to continue to wear a face-covering whilst in the library and maintain social distancing. Visit our COVID-19 Libraries news page.
The Local Studies library is your place to research local and family history.
We offer free access to Family History and Local Studies websites and email facilities.
It is easy to join the library. You just need to bring one piece of identification with you which includes your name and address.
What to do in our libraries
The Library has these accessibility aids:
- Level access to the building
- Customer lift
- Accessible counters
- Induction loop
- Computers with Zoomtext and high visibility keyboards.
Library app for iPhone users
Go to the App Store and search for Derby City Libraries. Download the app called DerbyLibraries to:
- Search by barcode: Use your device’s camera to scan the barcode on a book or other item and search for available copies at Derby City Libraries.
- Search the Derby City Libraries catalogue for items by title, author, subject, or general keyword and place holds on interesting items.
- Manage your account
- Find suggested reading - see what your friends have read and recommend with reading recommendations from Goodreads or check out the latest best-selling and award-winning titles.
Why not volunteer at your local library? We have a range of opportunities available, find out more on our Volunteering page.