Internet taster courses for beginners
We run free Internet taster sessions at several libraries in Derby to help people get online and to understand how being online can benefit them.
About the course
Is this the course for me?
The taster courses are for people who are complete beginners and have no or very little experience of the Internet.
What will I learn on the taster course?
The sessions cover:
- how to use a mouse
- how to navigate around a web page and websites
- how to find a website by typing the web address into the address bar
- how to search the Internet using Google
- options such as setting up an email account
- information about courses and where you can learn more about the Internet and computers.
How can being online benefit me?
You will be able to:
- search the online library catalogue, place holds for items and access your library account
- use the Internet for online transactions such as looking for work, renewing your vehicle tax or registering to vote
- use the Internet for up to date information on local health services, Council services and leisure activities
These are just a few of the ways in which using the Internet can make life easier.
How are the taster courses run?
The courses are run by library staff during library opening hours and comprise two sessions of about one to one and a half hours each. There will be up to three or four people in a group learning in a friendly and relaxed atmosphere.
How do I book a place on a course?
All you need to do is to ask at your local Derby library. The staff will be able to tell you if the course is the right level for you and how to book a place. The only thing we ask is that you are a library member.