History

Building at Allestree Park

At 130 Hectares (320 Acres), Allestree Park is the largest open space in Derby.

The park and its estate has been owned by a number of people, including:

  • wealthy land owners
  • army occupation
  • the national fire service
  • the Derby Corporation
  • and now Derby City Council.

In 1947, Derby Corporation purchased the hall and estate for £23,000, intending to build houses on the southern edge of the park. A small part was taken for this purpose in the West Bank Road area.

That same year the golf course was opened as a nine-hole course and extended to eighteen holes in 1955.