Information relating to Coronavirus
Derby Active at Home - Gymnastics
Thu 23 Apr 2020
We at Derby Active are here to help! For those missing their gymnastics sessions, our coaches have come up with some workouts the children can do at home for general and pre-school gymnastics.
We would love to see your workouts and activities. You can tag us in pictures or videos of any gymnastics you’re doing at home @springwoodleisurecentre if you’d like to be featured on our page. Please ensure a parents permission has been given first.
Basic Gymnastic moves from our coaches
Beginners Gymnastics Workout
1 - Warm Up
20 seconds per activity
- Jog on the spot
- Jumping jacks
- Knees high
- Side Chasse x 2 / side step (swing your arms out wide)
Recommended music track - Physical, Dua Lipa
2 - Stretching
All to be held for at least 15 seconds
Sitting in straddle
- stretch arms up (arms next to ears)
- reach both hands to touch right toes
- reach both hands to touch left toes
- circle left arm wide
- circle right arm wide
- straight stretch (arms next to ears)
- touch your toes (keep legs straight)
- circle hips (feet shoulder width apart)
Left leg lunge x 3
Right leg lunge x 3
On the floor
- Seal stretch
- Cat stretch
Recommended music track - Happy Now, Kygo
3 - Shapes and Jumps
After all jumps try to land safely in a ‘magic chair’ position
- X10 star jumps
- X10 stretch jumps (straight)
- X10 tuck jumps
- Rock in tuck shape
- Balance on right leg, left knee lifted bent (arms wide to help keep balance)
- Balance on left leg, right knee lifted bent
- Lay on the floor in dish shape, hold for 3 seconds x 5 (on your back, feet head and shoulders off the ground, reach up, arms next to ears)
- Lay on the floor in arch shape, hold for 3 seconds x 5 (on your front, feet chest and head off the ground, reach up, arms next to ears)
- Front support, hold for 5 seconds x 5
- Back support, hold for 5 seconds x 5
Recommended music track - Colours, Jason Derulo
4 - Conditioning
7 x each activity
- Shuttle runs 5m (if you don’t have space then jog on the spot High knees)
- Push ups (knees can be on the floor if you struggle)
- Sit ups
- Squat to straight jump
- Jog on the spot – 3 seconds – stop – touch the floor
Recommended music track - Old Town Road, Lil Nas X
5 - Cool Down
Each for 10 seconds
- Circle shoulders
- Stretch up tall
- Overhead arm pulls
- Left leg lunge
- Right leg lunge
- Jog on the spot
- Shake out your arms and legs
- Rock in tuck shape
- Lay flat on your back
Recommended music track - I'll Be There, Jess Glynne
Intermediate Gymnastics Workout
Pre-school Gymnastic activities
For younger children, our Springtots sessions focus on developing body awareness and a love for the sport. Climbing, crawling, and jumping are a gentle way for children walking to 5 years of age to develop their physical coordination and self-confidence.
Make sure your child has plenty of time to run around, climb, play and even do some work, such as gardening or helping with other chores around the house or outside.
Have a go at our body awareness activities that our coaches suggest for Springtots children:
5 Body Awareness Activities for Kids
- Play with a large ball - Encourage your child to kick the ball, using one foot and then the other. Then throw the ball and catch it too.
- Imitate animal movements - Ask your child to imitate the movement of different animals: spread your wings like a bird, curl up like a snail, hop like a rabbit etc… the creativity on this one is endless.
- Play “Simon Says” - Say an action that your child must copy. If your child needs a visual cue, complete the movement yourself as you describe it. You can include parts of the body, gross motor movements, silly noises etc.
- Shadow mimic play - Have your child to be your shadow and mimic all your actions as you walk about and perform simple actions (i.e. marching in place, cross crawls, bringing elbows to the knee, raising arms above the head etc).
- Dance or move to action songs - Learn action songs and perform the actions as you sing them. (You can also use dance competition or games)
Children need to be under adult supervision at all times.
For more activities to do with your little one visit https://innatemoves.com/toddler-gymnastics-at-home/
Gymnastics Core Proficiency badges
Gymnasts, even though you're not attending your regular gymnastics sessions you can still prepare for passing your next badge. Over the next couple of week we'll be sharing videos to help you practice at home.
Beginners - Badges 8, 7 & 6
Intermediate - Badges 5, 4, 3 & 2
Advanced- Badge 1+
Derby Active offers this site for educational purposes only. Please work to your own fitness level and ability, if you are injured or have any medical conditions we advise you ask for advice from your Doctor before taking part. The use of any information provided on this site is solely at your own risk.